Sunday, March 17, 2013

Never a cloudy day

I was washing the dishes tonight and thinking of our little sunshine, already tucked away in her bed for the night. I was trying to think of words to describe her outlook on life--sorting through it in my mind. Bethan is quite the little girl. I remember a day recently when she was sick with I-can't-remember-what and, rather than spending her day recuperating glumly, she chose to spend it jumping vigorously up and down on a sheet of bubble wrap. I'm reminded of this because last night she came down with the stomach flu. Ugh. After throwing up she took a happy little middle-of-the-night bath and went back to bed. She wanted me to hold her on the couch before she went back to her bed, but was all smiles and sweetness and not one complaint. Then this morning when I realized she had a fever and I gave her some medicine to drink, her only comment was a cheery, "Thanks, Momma" before going back to her various activities. Sooooo what is her secret? Is it that she really isn't that sick? I don't think so. I've seen her dog sick before and still hardly heard a complaint. Is it that she chooses to look on the bright side of things? I don't really think that's it either...I'm pretty sure she's still too little to realize she has such a choice. So what then? I think she's genuinely that happy. That content. She doesn't complain because she doesn't see anything to complain about. And as I stood there in the kitchen tonight I saw the beauty of what she has. Amy Carmichael once said something to the effect of, "Make very little of hard things in your life, but make very much of the good things." My life is so full of "good things" and I am old enough to know I have a choice in how I view the circumstances in my life. I want to choose to be more like our little girl. Get well soon, sis!

1 comment: